Wednesday, February 8, 2012

For those who dread the MCAT (My spiel to the wannabe medical student):

What prompted me to write the following is a US News article I just read on their website, titled “Top 3 Reasons Medical School Applications Are Rejected”.

I recommend reading it before reading my blog post below.  Here’s the link: http://www.usnews.com/education/blogs/medical-school-admissions-doctor/2012/02/06/top-3-reasons-medical-school-applications-are-rejected

Have faith people!  Yes, I agree, grades do matter, and I also agree that an obvious progressive upward trend or a small blip on the radar shouldn't hold you back.   Your grades show how much effort you put into your chosen coursework.

I do feel however that your MCAT performance only matters because it is the only “standardized” tool available.  I am sorry to those who enjoyed a music degree in undergrad; the MCAT is looking to punish you.  I don't believe the MCAT provides a strong correlate with how you will perform in medical school.  Unfortunately, it is still being used. 

To give a personal example, I took my MCAT while in grad school (far removed from the basic chemistry and physics courses I took in my first year of undergrad) and had very little time to study for it, given my demands in the lab amongst other important aspects of extra-curricular involvement.  My MCAT score was let's just say in the "20's".  The writing sample was my best section (Scored an “S”, scoring is from J-T).  I still had several research publications, presentations, leadership roles in extra-curricular activities and teaching experience in the life science fields, with a 3.7 undergrad GPA and a 4.0 grad GPA.  Unfortunately, I did not even get an interview at a Canadian/US medical school (I didn’t bother applying to most, considering I knew the MCAT score would keep me from entering the door).   I decided to apply to SGU as I was encouraged by the consistently successful residency matches to great programs in the US.  I was accepted to SGU and certainly put the work in!  I maintained one of the top GPA’s in my class; did well during my clinical rotations in the US alongside Cornell students, and scored 240+/99 on my USMLE.  I eventually obtained many residency interviews in the US and Canada, and matched to a great Canadian residency program and had pre-match offers from US programs.

My medical school experience will be missed.  I studied basic sciences in amazing weather with students from all over the US, Canada, the UK, etc., and was taught by American and Canadian professors.  I loved living in New York during my clinical years – not many med students outside of those at NY med schools can say that. 

I must say though, I am glad to be home and training in one of the top programs in my specialty.  So far, residency is going great; I’ve kept up the momentum, and my rotation evaluations/feedback from attending physicians and staff have all been extremely positive.  I am now involved in conducting interviews and enjoy providing constructive feedback for successful matching.

There are some students who score in the high “30’s” on their MCAT and have a personality that would not necessarily fit with most in the setting of clinical/academic medicine (and no, I am not referring to those that apply to pathology – my pathologist colleagues are fantastic people).

Point of the story: Clearly, the MCAT score is not reflective of your competence and professionalism as a future physician.  Schools need to “ease-up” on the weight they put on this exam as a screening tool for medical school candidacy.  Some school have, but unfortunately not enough.

-------------------------------

Additional advice for med student hopefuls:

Do your best, study hard, and enjoy the undergraduate/graduate life.  Take it all in.  Always be respectful of colleagues, keep the drama at home, be open to criticism and, in the words of Jay-Z, “Wipe the dirt off your shoulder”.  All of these will be reflected in your letters of recommendation when it comes time to apply to med school.

When you decide to take the MCAT, try taking it shortly after you’ve completed your core basic sciences.  Take a review course only if you have the time for it and willing to spend the money or if you need the strict defined scheduled lectures and practice sessions.  If you’re involved in research, many research supervisors do not accept “studying for your MCAT” as a good reason to take time off.  I understand from my own personal experience that taking this much time off is not always feasible.
Mature applicants looking to switch careers may not be able to take any time off without losing their job in the “hopes” of getting into med school.
Do not re-take the exam if you don’t feel any more prepared the second time around.   Don’t sweat the small things.  Remember, we are not applying to be rocket scientists; maybe brain surgeons, but trust me, rocket science in my opinion is way more complex than neurosurgery.

If you truly wish to be a physician, but do not wish to prolong the torture of trying to get into a US or Canadian school, apply overseas.  The training in most places will prepare you well and the programs teach all of the same evidence-based practices (or should).  The one caveat I have is this.  If you plan on applying to a Canadian residency program (as a Canadian citizen), going to the UK, Australia, etc. is just as appealing to the programs, if not more so, than going to a Caribbean school.  If you plan to apply to a US residency program, Caribbean medical schools  (SGU, Ross, AUC, SABA) may be a better option given the opportunity to do all of your clinical rotations in the US.  I do not recommend completing too many clinical rotations in the UK coming from a Caribbean school, as some residencies may not accept those rotations as transferrable.


No comments:

Post a Comment